Monday 14 October 2013

Whitamn's America and Ghalib's Delhi


















For Whitman,
America seemed interminable.
For me,
even Delhi is interminable.

When Whitman
sang songs of America,
what was it
but the blooming youth of a nation.

Here, in the ruins of Qutab
and in the imbecile Tughlaq's
incomplete stone palaces,
its the afternoon of time.

It strikes me,
as a poetic fact,
for Whitman and Ghalib lived
so many miles apart

oblivious of each other's
existence,
once muse burning with
a flame to lighten the world.

while the other's
dying,
burnt to ashes,
its phoenix alluding it.

I see translated America
and I see Delhi.
I read translated Ghalib
and I read Whitman.

Poetry,
poles apart.
One of winy grief
and the other of golden hopes.

Translations
conceal the congenital.
They are hiding something,
I can't put my finger on.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete